It was mid February, dead of winter in Ohio, I was scrolling through my Instagram and nearly every person was in Southeast Asia – I did something totally out of character and booked a trip to Thailand!
Prior to visiting Thailand I had never flown more than 4 hours at a time, total air time to Thailand was 16 hours! I was both nervous and excited. I had 5 months to plan my 15 days of bliss, here is what I did.
I knew I wanted to see a lot of different areas from the mountains to the beaches so we visited the most popular places, it took a lot of time to plan and I did a lot of research. You can make a trip to Southeast Asia as expensive or cheap as you want, we had limited time so we flew between most places but you can take trains to save money. I do recommend booking directly on the airline website you may have to pay in Thai Bhat but it is cheaper, make sure your credit card does not charge you international fees before you do this! The most popular travel season to Thailand is in January & February, we went during the low season in July. We were able to get really good deals on hotels and they were basically empty!
Below I have shared my travel details- I hope it helps you plan your trip!
Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Phuket -> Kho Phi Phi -> Krabi -> Bangkok
We took flights and ferries in between our destinations, I recommend booking all of these in advance so you can get cheaper rates and the best times available. You can always wait and buy your tickets once you are there if you have a more flexible timeline.
- Bangkok to Chiang Mai– Thai Airways
- Chiang Mau to Phuket—Bangkok Airways
- Phuket to Kho Phi Phi— Phi Phi Ferry – Andaman Wavemaster (Rassada Pier > Tonsai Pier)
- Phi Phi to Krabi– Phi Phi Ferry – Andaman Wavemaster (Tonsai Pier > Klong Jilad Pier)
Prior to visiting Thailand I read about all the places I wanted to visit and see. I put together a list at each location of things to do.
- Grand Palace- Na Phra Lan Rd, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, 10200, Thailand
- Wat Pho Temple
- Asiatique by the river. An awesome night market with a great atmosphere. Perfect place to pick up gifts and have some great food.
- Emerald Buddha- Na Phra Lan Road, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
- Floating Market (Bangkok)
- Khaosan Road- cheap shopping and lots of cool bars, lot’s of young people
- Elephant Tour: Ran Tong Elephant Center
- El Diablos Burritos
- Wat Phra That Doi Suthep- overlooks all of Chiang Mai – prices are jacked up at the temples
- Mae Sa Waterfall
- Night Bazaar
- Thai Silk Factory
Kho Phi Phi-
- Long boat around the island (Monkey Island, cliff jumping, “The Beach” beach, sunset on the water) – if you go outside of your resort you can get much cheaper prices
- Hike to Phi Phi Viewpoint http://www.phiphi.phuket.com/phi-phi-viewpoint.htm
- Snorkeling http://www.snubathailand.com/phi-phi-snorkel-tour.html
- Speed boat tour around the island
Helpful Travel Sites to use